It’s so easy to forget to drink enough water. We all need good reminders as to why we should, how we should, and what type of water is best to keep us functioning optimally.
Not only does water improve the way we function, but it also improves the way we feel and look.
Some of the natural perks water has to offer include:
- Hydration of internal organs thus enabling them to function properly
- Hydration of skin and keeping it looking fresh and healthy
- Weight control (water is our single, most effective weight management tool)
- Increased energy
- Alleviation/prevention of a variety of ailments by keeping the immune system healthy
- Regulation of body temperature
- The flushing out of daily waste and toxins
Know the Early Signs of Dehydration:
- Dark urine with odor
- Weight loss during exercise
- Muscle cramps
- Fatigue (over 50% of routine fatigue can be alleviated with proper hydration)
Many everyday symptoms and ailments can be improved by increasing water consumption.
Here are our best hydration tips to keep you flowing!
- Drink 1 liter (about 34 ounces) of water for every 50 pounds of body weight (Example: 150 pounds = 3 liters or about 100 ounces of water per day).
- Start your day with 16 ounces of room temperature water with the juice of half a lemon. The first 8 ounces wakes up the digestive system and the second 8 ounces will touch every organ, signaling metabolism to begin for the day. The juice from the lemon will flush out excess acid your body has been collecting from the joints while you were sleeping.
- Drink room temperature water between meals so as not to dilute your precious digestive enzymes that help deliver nutrients from your food. Drinking cold or ice water slows or freezes the digestive process. Drinking just hot water throughout the day (no tea, no lemon) is also a wonderful habit to consistently flush the lymphatic system and keep your immune system healthy.
- Water with minerals is very important. If you drink tap water, always purify it first. Please watch the second video included below in this blog and make sure you are drinking pure, mineralized water without fluoride, chlorine, or other chemicals.
- When drinking reverse osmosis or purified water, add concentrated essential trace minerals (found in the supplement section of the health food store) to your water to add back the minerals taken out by the purification process. This will actually hydrate your cells. Add 10-15 drops of minerals per liter of water. Alternatively, you may also take homeopathic cell salts to mineralize your body and nourish your nervous system.
- Another option is to take 1 capsule of trace minerals 2-3 times per day.
- Drink water every 15-30 minutes while exercising.
- Drink BEFORE you get thirsty; thirst is a sign of dehydration.
- Limit your consumption of caffeine, which acts as a diuretic and can dehydrate you.
- Coconut water is the best re-hydrant because it matches the exact electrolyte profile of our blood plasma. It is nature’s Gatorade!
- Try a natural Gatorade if you need the flavor and minerals like Ultima powder or Goodonya Hydrate
- Carry a glass reusable water bottle with you. Watch the video below to learn the dangers of drinking out of plastic bottles on a regular basis including dioxins and parabens and the unknown factor of how hot that bottle may have gotten sitting in the truck that delivered it. Plus we use over 60 million water bottles a day, and only 10% of those bottles are getting recycled.
Note: If you don’t drink enough water because it seems boring to you, then make fruit water. The combos I made for today’s show are:
1/8-cup fresh or frozen blueberries and 6 basil leaves.
1/8-cup fresh or frozen raspberries and 6 mint leaves.
¼ grapefruit, lemon, & lime, sliced. 8-10 mint leaves for an entire pitcher.