Since the mid 90’s, the number of Americans suffering from at least three chronic illnesses, nearly doubled, and America's international ranking for infant mortality and lifespan also plunged. There are many reasons why this is taking place but one major reason is right in front of us, genetically modified foods (or GMO’s) and the introduction of glyphosate (found in Round Up) to our food supply.
That’s why we’ve invited Jeffrey Smith, author of Seeds of Deception, and producer of the documentary Genetic Roulette to share his research on GMOs.
He is one of the most recognized consumer advocates promoting healthier non-GMO choices and we brought him in to ask these important questions….
- Why do you see the proliferation of genetically modified foods as the biggest gamble of our lives?
- Why are GMOs restricted or banned in Europe, but allowed in the US?
- How can we respond to the scientific community’s position that GMOs are safe?
- Where are things going in the way of our food supply and GMOs in the next 3-5 years?
Studies On GMOs
When you look at the GMO animal feeding studies, as the American Academy of Environmental Medicine had, they said, there's so much evidence that the GMOs are causing gastrointestinal problems, immune problems, accelerated aging, organ damage, infertility that every doctor in America should prescribe non-GMO diets to every patient.
Thousands of doctors are doing just that and they're reporting that many of their patients are quickly getting better from these same categories of diseases and disorders that were afflicting the lab animals. And these same categories turn out to be on the rise in the US population since the GMOs were introduced in 1996. So there's evidence from peer-reviewed published studies, from clinical evidence. We also hear it from hundreds of people who remove GMOs and feel better.
What Foods To Look Out For & Avoid
Step one is to know what the most genetically modified foods are in the American food supply and that's:
- Soybean oil
- Cottonseed oil
- Canola oil (which we see a lot in restaurant foods).
- Yellow squash
Olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, avocado oil or butter are better choices to cook food in, so you may want to ask at your favorite restaurants what they are cooking your meals in. And if they say soybean oil or canola oil, you may want to choose a different restaurant or ask for your food to be cooked in butter or olive oil.
Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts on GMOs and the food supply. I love hearing your opinions and thoughts on these kinds of things as we are all in this together and must collectively improve the safety of our food supply.
Facts On GMOs
- Over 80% of all corn, soy and cotton grown in the U.S. is genetically modified with pesticides to kill insects and/or herbicides resistant to weed killer.
- Over 80% of all processed foods on your grocery store shelf have GMOs in them.
- Over 90% of the total seed diversity in the United States has disappeared over the last century.
- More than 60 countries (including Australia, Japan, and all EU countries) have either banned or significantly restricted the production and sale of GMOs. But not the United States.
- 30,000 GMOs exist on grocery store shelves
Learn more to become an informed consumer and to protect yourself by watching all 3 parts of our food politics series.