Did you know that two tiny glands, no bigger than a grape are responsible for your energy levels, your endurance and your vitality? You cannot live without your adrenal hormones and how well you live depends a great deal on how well your adrenal glands function.
Adrenal fatigue is something affecting a great number of my clients as well as the ones closest to me, something that is often misdiagnosed and overlooked.
Living in these days of uncertainty and overwhelm causes much stress, which is not easy on the adrenal glands. When the adrenals are tired the body may experience a number of different symptoms. The most common symptoms caused by tired or worn out adrenal glands are:
– excessive sweating or perspiration with little activity
– lower back pain and/or knee weakness or pain, especially on the side
– dark circles under the eyes
– muscle twitches
– low blood sugar
– heart palpitations
– sensitivity to light, difficulty seeing at night
– a craving for salt
– low stamina for stress, easy irritability
– excess mood responses after eating carbohydrates such as pasta, breads, and sugar
– chronic infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, yeast)
– low blood pressure
– lightheadedness upon standing up
– tired but wired feeling, poor sleep
– cravings for sweets/carbs, intolerance to alcohol
– premature aging
– dry, unhealthy skin with excess pigmentation
– lack of libido
– cystic breasts
– tendency to startle easily
– negative response to thyroid hormone
If you suspect you might have tired adrenals, address it right away. Adrenal glands are extremely important to your immune function and they also help the thyroid to function properly. I have full spectrum hormone and neurotransmitter testing available at my office, or you can ask your doctor or health care practitioner.
Natural Ways to Support Your Adrenals
– Get some sleep. You must rest up if you are going to help your adrenals get stronger. That means going to bed every night by 10pm and if at all possible, make time for naps. Make this a priority and stick with it.
– Eliminate sugar (that includes alcohol) and processed carbs. Sugar and simple carbs (junk!) put stress on the adrenals. Your adrenal glands help to regulate your blood sugar levels and eating too much refined sugar can cause bloating and water retention not to mention incredible irritability and mood swings.
– Eat clean animal protein foods, organic vegetables and fruits, nuts, legumes, beans and grains.
– Quit the coffee habit and drink plenty of fresh filtered water every day. Try Teeccino's herbal coffee instead of regular coffee.
There is no need to live a sub par life where you are constantly feeling exhausted, out of balance and dragged through your daily obligations. By focusing for a few months on improving your diet and lifestyle, by resting, taking time to process your life and move through negative emotions and removing yourself from excessive chemicals – you will get yourself back, maybe even a new you, better than before.